Stuffed Acorn Squash is an easy and delicious 1 pan recipe that is a complete meal and full of health boosting ingredients. The Onion, Kale and Spinach add extra phytonutrients to the turkey, and the spices are also immune boosting and healthy. Acorn squash is rich in fiber, Vit C, carotenoids, magnesium and potassium.
When using spices and sauces, it is best to use organic types as most of these items are made from produce considered “dirty”, and have high levels of pesticides that remain present. Both spices and a sauces have high concentrations of produce, so for this reason, it is best to stick with organic. Adding a couple tablespoons of sauerkraut will help boost your gut health as it has live probiotics, and give the dish a little tangy side. This recipe presents beautifully if you are looking for something special, or it’s easy enough for any day of the week.
- 1 lb. of Plainville (antibiotic free) Ground Turkey
- 2 Organic Acorn Squash – Split in half, and cleaned
- 1 Sweet yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 C of mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 Handful of Organic Spinach
- 1 Handful of Organic Kale
- 2 T of Virgin Coconut oil
- 2 T EV Olive oil
- 1 Jar of Bertolli Organic Olive Oil and Basil – or flavor of marinara or sauce of your choice
- Pinch of dried oregano, garlic, sea salt, cayenne pepper, and black pepper to taste. (Organic is best)
- Wash your squash well. Cut your acorn squash in half, scoop out the seeds and place upside down on a microwave safe plate adding about 1/4 cup of water to the plate. Place 2 halves at a time in the microwave for approximately 11 minutes and cook on high, until a fork inserted into the squash goes in easily.
- Take out squash carefully, it will be very hot. Drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. If you are making 4 servings. Begin cooking your other two halves the same way and set aside.
- In the meantime, In a large saucepan, add 2 T of coconut oil and cook ground turkey over medium heat until browned, stirring occasionally. Add chopped mushroom, onion, handful of kale and spinach to the turkey and stir. Continue to saute over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent and mushrooms are tender. Add spices to taste and stir. Add your jar of Bertolli Sauce and mix in, allowing to cook for another 5 minutes for flavors to marry.
- Stuff your acorn bowl with 2 – 3 large spoonfuls of your mix and Enjoy!
- Garnish with a couple tablespoons of Sauerkraut
- Top with a bit more olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt
- Drizzle dots of cholula or other hot sauce around the plate