Are you missing your favorite acai bowl or smoothie right now due to the current COVID-19, Stay Home order? Now you can make your favorite ACAI Bowl from the comfort of your own kitchen with this simple recipe that can be made in about 15 minutes with only a handful of ingredients. So, why try acai berries?
Acai has been found to have many health benefits. They are good for you by promoting:
- Skin Health – contain high levels of vitamins A, C, and E as well as free radical protection
- Brain Health – helps reduce amyloid build up in the brain
- Heart Health – helps lower (bad) LDL cholesterol
- Have Cancer prevention properties – studies have shown that acai berries may prevent or even fight cancer
Known as Brazil’s amazing superfood, these deep purple berries have 3 times the anti oxidant capacity of blueberries due to their high levels of anthocyanin, they are low in sugar and high in healthy fats. The high levels of antioxidants they contain help neutralize free radicals in our bodies that damage our cells, including our skin cells. Free radicals in foods are measured by an ORAC level, the higher this number, the better this food is able to help us prevent disease and help our bodies stay more youthful. Acai berries carry an ORAC level of about 15,000 while blueberries another superfood we are very familiar carry about 5.000. Wild blueberries actually have a higher ORAC level, at about 9500, so they are more able to reduce disease and protect our bodies than regular blueberries. Chia seeds are also considered superfoods because of their high content of healthy fat, and anti-oxidants and vitamins of their own.
As you can see this bowl is nutrient dense! It is great for helping you feel great, but it also helps us look great with its skin health properties. Not all grocery stores carry frozen Acai, but Publix does and they deliver! The other ingredients are readily found in most stores. Let me know if you get a chance to try it and how it worked out for you!
Acai Superfood Bowl
- 1 packets of Sambazon Acai Superfruit
- 1/2 C Wymans Frozen Wild Blueberries
- 1 Tsp Spectrum Organic Chia Seeds
- 1/2 to 1/3 C of non dairy milk such as almond, oat, flax or coconut. Use enough to make bowl smooth but not runny.
- 1 – 2 Tsp of Whole Earth monk fruit/stevia blend as sweetener – sweeten to taste
- 1/4 C of Pecans, Walnuts or Almonds
- Any fruit you would like to top your bowl with: I like sliced apples, sliced bananas, and/or fresh berries
Let your Acai packet sit out for about 5 minutes till its soft but not melted. You can also place in cold water for a couple minutes to slightly defrost. Empty softened Acai into your high speed blender such as a Ninja. Add your frozen blueberries, chia seeds and monk fruit. Pour in your milk a little at a time, start with less than 1/4 C and blend. If your fruit is still acting like a frozen block, pour in more milk, blend again. Once it starts to blend well, let it blend for about 30 seconds and taste. Adjust your sweetener to your liking here. Pour into your bowls and top with your nuts and sliced fruit.
If you want this to be a meal, you can add a scoop of collagen peptide protein while blending.
If you want this to be a smoothie, simply add more milk till it’s the thickness you desire, and do without the toppings, however, the collagen peptide protein would go very well here.