Who doesn’t love chocolate? When it comes to Valentine’s Day, it seems that chocolate is always on the list! For those of us trying to swap out unhealthy choices for healthier ones, these Dark Chocolate Hemp Bites really measure up by packing a punch of superfoods that will leave you feeling energized!
Check out the health benefits of the ingredients below:
- Walnuts are the bomb! They are considered brain food as they are high in omega 3 fatty acids and a great source of good fat that is great for healthy skin, hair and nails.
- Dates are sweet and delicious, and are rich in minerals and iron. However, tread lightly here as these are high in sugar.
- Almond butter is a good source of vitamin E, manganese and biotin, also great for beautiful skin, hair and nails!
- Hemp seeds add a powerful punch of omega 3 fatty acids, iron, magnesium and zinc. They are also a good vegan source of amino acids and protein and help with immunity and overall health.
Dark Chocolate Energy Balls for Valentine’s Day
These lovelies are gluten-free, vegan and will stay fresh in the fridge for a week. They can also be frozen for up to a month.
- 3/4 cup packed pitted dates (careful to remove the seed)
- Whole Earth Monk Fruit/Stevia blend or stevia of choice – 2 – 4 packets to taste for added sweetness
- 1/4 C organic coconut flakes for rolling (be sure to get all natural, no sugar added flakes)
- 2 cups raw walnuts
- 6 Tbsp organic raw cacao nibs ground into powder or organic cacao powder (can grind cacao nibs in a coffee bean grinder, note- you will need a little powder for rolling the balls)
- 3 Tbsp hemp seeds (plus more for rolling if you want some coating balls)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3 Tbsp creamy almond butter (or other nut or seed butter)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil slightly melted (add slowly to moisten the ball dough)
- Add dates to a food processor and pulse/mix until small bites remain or a ball forms. Scoop out and set aside in a bowl.
- Add walnuts to the food processor and pulse until a flour forms, do not over pulse as they will turn to butter. Then add cacao powder, hemp seeds and sea salt. Pulse a few more times to combine.
- Add the dates back in along with the almond butter and melted coconut oil (optional). Mix/pulse to combine. These should be doughy, if they are too wet, add more cacao powder and hemp seeds.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes. You should be able to roll these into balls, there should be roughly 20 balls from this recipe.
- Roll in extra hemp seeds, coconut flakes and/ or cacao powder if desired and for less sticky balls. Place in the fridge for 2 hours to allow them to firm up.
- Store leftovers in a well-sealed container in the refrigerator up to 1 week or in the freezer up to 1 month
This recipe should make approximately 20 balls, or less if you like them larger. For an additional Valentine’s Day treat, try placing a dried cherry or goji berry in the middle of the ball and then roll.